Incomprehensible Blathering

The shallow stream is easily crossed. The shallow mind, even more so.

20050512

Traffic Cop

Tuesday last I did something a bit odd and (I think) somewhat out of character. I was walking to my T'ai Chi class and in so doing, have to cross a very busy, poorly regulated and moderately dangerous four lane intersection. This I usually do with no notable trouble as I simply either resign myself to waiting until there is a clear patch or time things such that I am able to cross relatively safely even though some of the lanes have cars and trucks zooming by at 35 to 40 miles per hour. (Mind you, the speed limit is 25 mph.) In my opinion, the intersection has needed traffic control lights since some university classes started being held at the YMCA. This is about 10 years now. On Tuesday, I chose the slither method and even though there were people waiting to cross on both sides, I was the only one to cross. I even managed to do so without inconveniencing or getting hit by any of the vehicles. After crossing, I looked at the somewhat desperate people on both sides of the street waiting to cross and something must have finally snapped inside me. I turned right around and walked out into traffic holding my arms palm out, stopping all four lanes. Once they were stopped, I waved the pedestrians across and walked back to my desired side of the street, staring down one particular jerk-off who was revving his engine at me.

Looking back on it, I realize full well I could have been hit and possibly killed but at that particular moment, it didn't matter. I'd had enough, enough of the speeding traffic, enough of the lack of control and enough of the lack of respect for pedestrians, just plain enough. At the same time, if I had been hit and/or killed, maybe the city would finally consider putting a demand-light at that intersection. Either way, it helped, if only for a moment.

Work is devouring most of my time right now which is why I've not been posting much, but this one was just too odd not to note. Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home